IPv6 woes - RFC

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Wed Sep 15 16:59:37 UTC 2021

On 9/15/21 09:31, Masataka Ohta wrote:

>                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>>
>>> Not. With geographical aggregation, you may route a call
>>> *anywhere* in the destination country.
>
>> You mean anywhere in the world. Calls to my number reach my cell phone no
>> matter where I go.
>
> You are confusing number portability and call forwarding.

You're confusing call forwarding with international roaming.

Obligatory back story. In the early days of international roaming I had
cellular service in the US with AT&T. I traveled to Bulgaria for a week
and took my phone with me. International rates were on the order of
$3.95 per minute.

I deliberately left my phone turned off so as to avoid expensive
incoming calls. On arrival I turned my phone on and made two calls to
let people at home know I'd arrived. During the trip I would turn it on
and make a call occasionally, total under ten calls, all outbound.

When I got home I would up with a bill totaling several hundred dollars.
Every time someone called my number the call got routed to Bulgaria. The
call then went back to the USA and hit my voicemail, so I got charged
$3.95 twice for each of these calls.

I eventually got the bill resolved, but it took a very long time and
multiple escalations. Suffice it to say that AT&T customer service reps
are located nowhere near the "A" in "AT&T".

A year later I made another international trip. Ahead of time I called
AT&T to ask them to disable voicemail so I wouldn't have to deal with
that again. I finally was able to do so but that, too, took multiple
calls to people very obviously not in "A".

Jay Hennigan - jay at west.net
Network Engineering - CCIE #7880
503 897-8550 - WB6RDV