Never push the Big Red Button (New York City subway failure)

Adam Thompson athompson at merlin.mb.ca
Wed Sep 15 15:58:10 UTC 2021

Now I'm curious... in all of the DCs and COs I've worked in - to the best of my knowledge, I haven't personally tested this! - the EPO button does not​ switch to emergency power.  It turns off ALL equipment power in the space - no lights, no klaxons, nothing.  In simpler setups, the EPO is connected to the UPS so anything plugged in to the UPS does dark instantly.  In one DC I'm familiar with, the EPO switch kills all the UPS output and​ uses several relays to kill commercial power at the same time.
In some, the room lights were not covered by the EPO switch, in some they were.  Emergency exit lamps will continue to be lit, as they have internal batteries, and are required by building/fire code.

Is it (somewhat) common for an EPO switch to only disconnect commercial power and leave local redundant power live?  What sort of facilities would have this?

-Adam

Adam Thompson
Consultant, Infrastructure Services
[1593169877849]
100 - 135 Innovation Drive
Winnipeg, MB, R3T 6A8
(204) 977-6824 or 1-800-430-6404 (MB only)
athompson at merlin.mb.ca<mailto:athompson at merlin.mb.ca>
www.merlin.mb.ca<http://www.merlin.mb.ca/>