IPv6 woes - RFC

Jeroen Massar jeroen at massar.ch
Fri Sep 10 21:17:02 UTC 2021

On 2021-09-10 18:27, Owen DeLong wrote:

>>> This is my point… That is why I think an announcement of “On X date,
>>> we will begin charging extra for IPv4 services and define Internet Access
>>> to be IPv6” by a couple of the larger eyeball ISPs would light a pretty
>>> big fire under those laggards.
>>
>> You mean like: https://docs.hetzner.com/general/others/ipv4-pricing/ ?
>>
>> yes, a /24 was 0 setup, now now close to 5000 of currency.... and the monthly fee also doubled.
>> Noting that 20 for an IPv4 IP is effectively quite cheap with current prices going towards 50+...
>>
>> There are thus already a few places that are doing the squish....
>>
>> Greets,
>> Jeroen
>>

> Yes, but it needs to come from a major eyeball ISP to be the motivating
> factor that we need here. A minor virtual server host isn’t going to do it.

"minor virtual server host". I think you are underestimating things...

https://bgp.he.net/AS24940 + AS213230

That is not a toy network... but hey, I guess 'everything is bigger' on
the other side of the big old lake eh.

I am sure, considering the news and rumors, that that pricing change
made, that it made an impact at a lot of companies, that things are
changing, and that is a win for IPv6...

But hey, YMMV.

Greets,
  Jeroen