Never push the Big Red Button (New York City subway failure)

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 18:48:05 UTC 2021

On Fri, Sep 10, 2021 at 1:49 PM Matthew Huff <mhuff at ox.com> wrote:

> Reminds me of something that happened about 25 years ago when an
> elementary school visited our data center of the insurance company where I
> worked. One of our operators strategically positioned himself between the
> kids and the mainframe, leaned back and hit it's EPO button.

Or when your building engineering team cuts themselves a new key for the
'main breaker' for the facility... and tests it at 2pm on a tuesday.
Or when that same team cuts a second key (gotta have 2 keys!) and tests
that key on the same 'main breaker' ... at 2pm on the following tuesday.

<quadruple face palm>

not fakenews, a real story from a large building full of gov't employees
and computers and all manner of 'critical infrastructure' for the agency
occupying said building.

Matthew Huff | Director of Technical Operations | OTA Management LLC