IPv6 woes - RFC

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Wed Sep 8 08:50:43 UTC 2021

> On Sep 8, 2021, at 10:24 AM, Bjørn Mork <bjorn at mork.no> wrote:
> The next thought was SMTP

I assume someone’s tried using MX record precedence to do this?  AAAA record references with lower values than A record references, and see what happens?  Anyone have any results to share there?

> and authoritative DNS servers.

If all currently-listed NS are dual-stack, I don’t know how much more would be gained by pruning them back to IPv6 only, from an actual-change-in-the-world perspective.  Obviously it’s got to happen in the long run, will happen in the long run, and is the right thing to do, but I’m not sure that’s where our short-term tactical effort is going to have the most effect.

If there are currently IPv4-only nameservers, deprecating those, dual-stacking them, or replacing them with IPv6-only is a good move.

> Running IPv6 only in a real production environment should be possible as long as you keep IPv4 on at least one of the servers.

Agreed, and in your internal environment you can go IPv6 only with NAT/gateway at the edge to reach legacy stuff on the outside.  That helps get your people used to IPv6-only, and demonstrates the benefits of less configuration, less worrying about IP address availability, etc.  If people don’t have a taste of how much easier it is, they don’t have a strong incentive to keep moving forward.

> But you don't have to look far before you hit snags like this:
> https://www.norid.no/en/om-domenenavn/regelverk-for-no/vedlegg-f/

Ugh.  Policy from 2018.  Has anyone reached out to them to get this fixed?  .NO is one of the few ccTLDs we don’t have a relationship with.  Looks like they’re using NetNod and Neustar.

                                -Bill