IPv6 woes - RFC

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Wed Sep 8 07:22:11 UTC 2021

On 9/8/21 08:50, Saku Ytti wrote:

> Fully agreed, I just don't see the driver. But I can imagine a
> different timeline where in 2000 several tier1 signed mutual binding
> contracts to drop IPv4 at the edge in 2020. And no one opposed,
> because 20 years before was 1980, and 20 years in the future IPv4
> wont' anymore be a thing, it's clear due to exponential growth.
>
> And we'd all be enjoying a much simplified stack and lower costs all
> around (vendor, us, customers).
>
> Why is this not possible now? Why would we not sign this mutual
> agreement for 2040? Otherwise we'll be having this same discussion in
> 2040.

I do not see why this is not possible now.

In fact, I'd go as far as saying that the proposal should be shortened
from 20 years to 10 years from today. 10 years is not unreasonable.

I'm not sure if there needs to be a separate "cabal" amongst the major
network operators that cover every corner of the world to agree to this,
as I expect more talking here on NANOG than action around this issue.
But I'd be happy to join and support such a cabal, with the backing of
my own management toward making this commitment, at least from an
African standpoint.

I know at least 3 or 4 other operators in Africa that would be willing
to commit to the same, either directly or by proxy with us.

Do we drive this through the IETF, or just have private, multi-lateral
agreements, as major operators?

I'm now just thinking of how we get this idea off the ground, and stop
talking too much.

Mark.