IPv6 woes - RFC

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Wed Sep 8 06:50:14 UTC 2021

On Tue, 7 Sept 2021 at 19:51, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> Hopefully this idea that “you need to do IPv4 anyhow” will die some day soon.

Fully agreed, I just don't see the driver. But I can imagine a
different timeline where in 2000 several tier1 signed mutual binding
contracts to drop IPv4 at the edge in 2020. And no one opposed,
because 20 years before was 1980, and 20 years in the future IPv4
wont' anymore be a thing, it's clear due to exponential growth.

And we'd all be enjoying a much simplified stack and lower costs all
around (vendor, us, customers).

Why is this not possible now? Why would we not sign this mutual
agreement for 2040? Otherwise we'll be having this same discussion in
2040.

--
  ++ytti