if not v6, what?

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Wed Sep 8 05:52:02 UTC 2021

> On 8 Sep 2021, at 12:51, Masataka Ohta <mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp> wrote:
>
> Niels Bakker wrote:
>
>>> As for well known port, we can specify non-default port numbers
>>> in URLs (I'm not sure whether it works for mailto: or not) or.
>>> in the future, things like DNS SRV RRs should be helpful.
>> This absolutely doesn't work.
>
> Thank you very much for your emotional and unfounded
> comment.
>
>> And DNS SRV RRs have roughly zero uptake for stuff that matters (web, email).

Which is why there is HTTPS and SVCB.  If you look at your recursive
server logs you are likely to see queries for HTTPS being made as
browsers are starting to make queries for HTTPS (a.k.a. TYPE65).

> I know SRV and other similar proposals so far are not
> very compatible with URL syntax and should better be
> simplified.

The only thing difficult to map was non-default ports and that could
easily have been addressed.  Remember SRV required a seperate RFC to
specify how to map existing services on to it. HTTPS just prefixed the
label "_<port>”.  That could have easily been done with SRV.

HTTPS and SVBC are just SRV on steroids.

>>> Then, to run servers at home, we only need some not-well-known
>>> ports forwarded, which can be default or value added service of
>>> your local ISP, just like fixed IP addresses today.
>
>> Oh and we need to work around the whole IP reputation system that governs email today.
> IP reputation system must evolve to be IP+port reputation
> system, which is not my problem.
>
>> Is there even any IETF work being done on getting port forwards on a device behind your immediate LAN at home?
>
> That's overkill, because servers should have stable
> addresses and ports. So, we only need statically
> configured port forwarding.
>
> But if you insist, UPnP by Microsoft has been implemented
> on almost all NAT boxes. There even exists PCP.

But how much has been implemented in CGNs and how many ISP’s
enable it if it is implemented?  Getting IPv4 continue to work
just add layer upon layer of hacks which we are all continuing
to pay for.

While we debate more and more services are enabling IPv6 and
the traffic is shifting to IPv6.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742              INTERNET: marka at isc.org