if not v6, what?

Niels Bakker niels=nanog at bakker.net
Tue Sep 7 17:04:02 UTC 2021

* mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp (Masataka Ohta) [Tue 07 Sep 2021, 18:36 CEST]:
>As for well known port, we can specify non-default port numbers
>in URLs (I'm not sure whether it works for mailto: or not) or.
>in the future, things like DNS SRV RRs should be helpful.

This absolutely doesn't work. And DNS SRV RRs have roughly zero uptake
for stuff that matters (web, email).

>Then, to run servers at home, we only need some not-well-known
>ports forwarded, which can be default or value added service of
>your local ISP, just like fixed IP addresses today.

Oh and we need to work around the whole IP reputation system that
governs email today.

Is there even any IETF work being done on getting port forwards on a
device behind your immediate LAN at home?

>We may even develop transport protocols with 32 bit port
>numbers, which is a lot easier to deploy than IPv6.

Do you have any more practical proposals, or..?

	-- Niels.