IPv6 woes - RFC

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 19:24:45 UTC 2021

On Mon, Sep 6, 2021 at 2:55 PM Bjørn Mork <bjorn at mork.no> wrote:

> And cellular providers give you a single /64.  Not even useful as IPv6
> access for anything larger than a single handset.  Extending that /64 to
> something you can use is non-trivial.  How many providers have actually
> done that?

I am sitting here on a 4G broadband connection provided by the
cellular provider "3". I am using the Huawei B535-232 CPE provided to me by
"3" as part of the contract. My IPv6 configuration, which I
received completely automatic without having to do anything or even know
about it:

Router IPv6: 2a02:aa7:4620:e76b:5a02:3ff:fe04:506
My computer connected through a LAN cable to the
router: 2a02:aa7:4620:e76b:1870:3bef:4272:5
My android cell phone connected via wifi:
2a02:aa7:4620:e76b:d199:f9b2:7103:3a05

As should be obvious the /64 provided extends to something larger than a
single handset here in a completely trivial way. The CPE is simply bridging
the /64 provided.

Yes I would be more happy with a prefix delegation of some size but this
works too. It is still better than the IPv4 which has to go through NAT.

Regards,

Baldur