IPv6 woes - RFC

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Mon Sep 6 15:54:11 UTC 2021

On 9/6/21 5:04 AM, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen via NANOG wrote:
> Well, I come from a software background, so in my world the whole
> thing is held together by duct tape and string anyway ;)

Don't forget bailing wire.

> And while I can agree in principle, the nice thing about hacks is that
> you can actually get those to *work*, whereas tilting at windmills to
> get providers to do the right thing is much harder. So ideally you
> could do both: deploy the hack(s) while waiting to get the proper
> fix deployed a decade or two from now...

Yes, it's usually possible to get one or more hacks to work well enough
to achieve the desired immediate goal -- $NextStreamingService to work
on $SignificantOthersDevice.

But, how much time and effort ins required for each
$NextStreamingService that comes down the pipe and the associated
ill-will of $SignificantOther?

> Yeah, I do realise that that particular workaround probably has (had?)
> an expiry date :(

When is the proper time to give up on hacks and take one, relatively
simple, step backwards to avoid all subsequent time / effort / ill-will?

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die