IPv6 woes - RFC

Brian Knight ml at knight-networks.com
Sun Sep 5 15:43:50 UTC 2021

On 2021-09-04 23:33, Mark Tinka wrote:
> On 9/5/21 04:49, John Levine wrote:
>
>> I have asked my ISP about IPv6 and their answer is that that they're
>> not opposed to
>> it but since I am the only person who has asked for it, it's quite low
>> on the list
>> of things to do.
>
> Supporting the routing and forwarding of IP addresses is just about
> the most basic thing any ISP should do.
>
> If that is low on their to-do list, what else could they possibly be
> doing?

$DAYJOB (at a business SP) is much busier installing more VPNs in the
form of SDWAN than anything IPv6 related.  There is a hell of a lot more
customer demand for tools that route packets with finer control than
just dest-based routing, not to mention the security add-ons.

The fact that folks can achieve multi-homed Internet connectivity
without the financial burden of a /24 helps SDWAN's case.  Turns out Mom
and Pop, and even John Q. down the street, wants fast failover in case
of circuit trouble just like the big boys.

That said, I do hear prospects and customers asking for IPv6 more often
now than a year ago.  But it's nowhere near the popularity of SDWAN:
It's gone from maybe 2-4 requests per year in 2019 to 2-4 requests per
quarter today.

Sorry, the market *still* doesn't care much about IPv6.  Believe me, I
hope people will continue getting interested, but I'm done holding my
breath.

Maybe we should collectively focus instead on raising the default MTU
for the Internet to 2000 bytes to accommodate all these tunnels. ;)

> Mark.

-Brian