IPv6 woes - RFC

Carsten Bormann cabo at tzi.org
Sun Sep 5 06:48:06 UTC 2021

> In fact, I am going to continue with said H.E. IPv6 tunnel, just without advertising it to the network (RA / DHCPv6).  I will have to statically configure IPv6 on things that I want to use it on.

There we get to the heart of things.

The problem is not with IPv6 or your ISP (*), but with the Netflix software.
Doing happy eyeballs and selecting an IP address out of the ones available that they *then* reject because they don’t like it: beyond broken, just plain stupid.
Netflix should be using only those IP addresses that it likes (**).

Grüße, Carsten

(*) Well, an ISP that does not offer 128-bit IP *is* a problem, but not the one that led to this thread.

(**) if it needs to deal in address liking at all, which is also fundamentally broken, but seems to be an addiction of their specific industry.