Hurricane Ida updates

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Sun Sep 5 06:01:41 UTC 2021

On Sun, 5 Sep 2021, Eric Kuhnke wrote:
> During the peak of the rain storm in NJ+NY (see flooding deaths referenced
> in previous email), the wireless emergency alert systems were sending,
> simultaneously:
>
> 1) TORNADO WARNING SEEK SHELTER NOW GO TO BASEMENT [1]
>
> 2) FLOOD WARNING SEEK HIGH GROUND GET OUT OF BASEMENTS [2]

The National Weather Service uses pre-scripted templates, with some
customization.  The problem with pre-scripting is it never covers every
situation. On the other hand, NWS keeps precise records of the exact text
used in every weather alert sent. There are sometimes lawsuits about
weather warnings.

The NWS tornado script does mention sheltering in a basement or interior
room.

The NWS flood warning script mentions travel and fleeing flooding (no
mention of basements or higher ground).

I did check the actual NWS alert messages sent.  One problem was the
WEA message did not use the FLASH FLOOD EMERGENCY template, only the
WARNING script. Although I doubt that made much of a difference in this
case.

The pre-scripted message templates https://www.weather.gov/wrn/wea360

I don't know if other alerting sources did. Android and IOS emergency
alert warning interfaces are amazingly bad, considering Google and Apple
hire some of the best user interface designers in the world. Its very
confusing which alert message came from which App, SMS or WEA. I also
don't know why Android and IOS sends the WEA Attention Tones through
headphones instead of using the external speaker or ringer for the
Attention Signal. A lot of people complain about their ears being blasted
by the attention signal when listening with headphones. The attention
signal is to get your attention when your phone is across the room, not
when you are wearing headphones.

The NWS is also getting better, activating WEA only for more targeted,
destructive weather events. In 2017, during Hurricane Harvey in Houston
NWS issued a 157 tornado warnings and 134 flash flood warnings in the
same hurricane warning area. While a few warnings during Hurricane Harvey
were for very destructive weather events, most were not.  The very
destructive warnings got lost in the noise.

I don't have a final count for NYC for Hurricane Ida, but there were a lot
fewer warnings for catastrophic/destructive events (maybe a dozen). Now
the less destructive warnings don't activate WEA.