IPv6 woes - RFC

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Sun Sep 5 05:43:30 UTC 2021

On Sun, 5 Sept 2021 at 08:25, Grant Taylor via NANOG <nanog at nanog.org> wrote:

>   - Municipal fiber - 1 Gbps - IPv4 only - $50 / month
>   - Local cable co. - ~100 Mbps - IPv4 and IPv6 - for $100 / month
>   - ILEC xDSL - ~50 Mbps - why would I look - for $100 month
>
> There may be cellular Internet options, but those aren't ... economical,
> especially for streaming.
>
> Of those three which would you choose?

Municipal fiber. Which is the point, you cannot capitalise offering
IPv6, so offering it is bad for business. People who have adopted IPv6
have eaten into their margins for no utility.
I view IPv6 as the biggest mistake of my career and feel responsible
for this horrible outcome and I do apologise to Internet users for
it. This dual-stack is the worst possible outcome, and we've been here
over two decades, increasing cost and reducing service quality. We
should have performed better, we should have been IPv6 only years ago.

I wish 20 years ago big SPs would have signed a contract to drop IPv4
at the edge 20 years from now, so that we'd given everyone a 20 year
deadline to migrate away.
20 years ago was the best time to do it, the 2nd best time is today.
If we don't do it, 20 years from now, we are in the same position,
inflating costs and reducing quality and transferring those costs to
our end users who have to suffer from our incompetence.

--
  ++ytti