The great Netflix vpn debacle! (geofeeds)

Justin Krejci JKrejci at usinternet.com
Wed Sep 1 23:29:45 UTC 2021

Well apparently there are VPN applications that rely on fellow VPN users in a P2P fashion to share network connectivity. I guess it is like a commercialized version of Tor to some extent. Excluding any potential legal risks for illegal behavior tunneled through an unsuspecting fellow user, this has great potential to cause a contaminating spread of VPN flagged IP addresses, even with just normal usage.

One such VPN application is Hola VPN which also has a premium version using their VPN server gateways instead of or perhaps in addition to the community method.

Dynamic IP address assignments by an ISP could easily allow for one such user to get many IP addresses flagged as a VPN gateway. I have communicated with some IP reputation companies and they track VPN users and can even supply the specific VPN brand associated with certain IP addresses, with timestamps, they have observed and added to their reputation databases as VPN users. How they obtain their data I do not know for sure but I can think of a few ways.

So we seem to have a battle between

  *   users
  *   streaming content providers
  *   streaming content owners / copyright holders
  *   ISPs
  *   VPN providers
  *   restrictive/invasive governments or network operators
  *   ??

There is definitely collateral damage from their use that should be considered, especially if very prominent streaming content providers take a more restrictive posture towards users of these kinds of VPN services.