The great Netflix vpn debacle! (geofeeds)

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Wed Sep 1 19:12:25 UTC 2021

On 9/1/21 11:49 AM, Matthew Huff wrote:
> IPv6 tunnels work great for network geeks, but rather poorly for home users with streaming, gaming etc...It's not necessarily the performance, it's either the geolocation, latency, or the very issue that started this thread - VPN banning.
>
> Remember, the streaming services couldn't care less about geolocation or VPN banning, it's the contractual obligations with the content providers. The content providers care about vpn banning because it gets around geolocation, which interferes with their business models (different release schedules to different regions, etc..)
>
> Been there, done that...Stuck on Fios with no IPv6. Ran into rather "interesting" problems with various streaming services with IPv6 configured.

Well, my point is that a properly pre-configured home router could
probably make this plug and play. Openwrt can probably do what I'm
thinking. Streaming should not be a problem but gaming/latency
definitely is.

I frankly don't understand why these home router vendors don't just
adopt Openwrt and the like instead of maintaining their own code. They
are extremely cost sensitive so you'd think that it would be a big win
(yes, I know some do but, say, Linksys doesn't and their software is
complete shit and I know this first hand). Why can't I have router
distos just like Linux distos where somebody with clue does the work to
customize distos with various features. My ISP could then just point at
the ones they like too. It's really sad that home routers are completely
treated like black boxes where people and their devices have no problem
customizing them to their taste. My suspicion is this all a
self-fulfilling prophecy.

Mike