The great Netflix vpn debacle! (geofeeds)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Sep 1 16:46:51 UTC 2021

> On Aug 31, 2021, at 17:51 , Michael Thomas <mike at mtcc.com> wrote:
>

> On 8/31/21 5:13 PM, Jay Hennigan wrote:
>> On 8/31/21 16:32, Jeroen Massar via NANOG wrote:
>>
>>> Fun part being that it is hard to get a Dumb TV... though that is primarily simply because of all the tracking non-sense in them that makes them 'cheaper'... (still wonder how well that tracking stuff complies with GDPR, I am thinking it does not ... Schrems anyone? :) )
>>
>> Just get a "smart" TV, don't connect it to the Internet, and use its HDMI ports for your cable box, Apple TV, etc. and/or antenna input for local off-air reception.
>>

> Yeah, until TV manufacturers actually start incorporating, oh say, Google tv (which is just a form of Android) they are always going to be inferior. Having the TV just be a monitor is a feature, not a bug. It's a lot cheaper to upgrade a $50 hdmi based dongle than the whole TV, doubly so since manufacturers have a bad reputation  for not supporting upgrades beyond the sell date. I have no idea whether any of the external ones support v6 though.

Apple TV supports IPv6, but does not allow the user to set a static IPv6 address and it uses rotating privacy addresses, so the security implications are “interesting”. OTOH, it does appear to support DHCPv6 and if you set M+O, it looks like you can collect the DUID and give it a fixed DHCP address.

Android and by extension Google’s HDMI dongles/devices have some IPv6 support, but of course don’t work with DHCPv6 because of Lorenzo’s religious problems.

> One thing that might be nice is for routers to internally number using v6 in preference to v4 and NAT that (if needed). Then you can easily tell what is still a laggard. My wifi cams might be poorly supported, but they don't need to interoperate with much on the Internet.

I actually have had an idea for a long time of producing a router-on-a-stick kind of device which would be a small linux SBC with two ethernet ports and some LEDs.

The OS would go on a micro-SD card and it would literally be a single-device NAT64 setup so that the IPv4-only device on the downstream side could work with the IPv6-only LAN (which might further have a NAT64 gateway to deal with the IPv4-only legacy portions of the world outside.

Ideally, the upstream ethernet port would be PoE to power the device (and the device would be sold with a small, cheap PoE injector in case needed).

> Mike, Google TV has been pretty nice since the Amazon feud finally ended though I hate that the protocol is still pretty proprietary

To the best of my knowledge, the FireTV and its ilk still can’t spell IPv6.

Owen