An update on the AfriNIC situation

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Wed Sep 1 11:48:42 UTC 2021

On 9/1/21 00:56, Owen DeLong via NANOG wrote:

> Not to put too fine a point on this, but what human cost?
>
> There were exactly 3 employees that AFRINIC wasn’t able to pay in July, including
> the CEO (who is one of the major protagonists in creating this problem in the first
> place). I don’t know who the other two were.
>
> Everyone else got paid for July.
>
> AFRINIC has received clearance of enough money to cover their normal expenses
> for August and September. As such, there shouldn’t be any problems with salaries
> or “human cost” in those months. Hopefully given that reprieve, cooler heads at
> AFRINIC can prevail and some form of settlement can be achieved before they run
> out of money from that reprieve.

This is rich!

Of course, one should expect people to be mentally settled and do good
work when they have no security or clarity about whether they will get
paid at the end of each month.

These aren't robots, mate. People have real thoughts and real feelings.

Stress is not intangible... it releases cortisol, which delivers a
number of physiological side effects that work against good health.
Financial insecurity is just about the worst stress anyone has to deal with.

None of us would sleep well if we knew that our source of income is not
guaranteed, despite what some may say about "As such, there shouldn't be
any problems with salaries..."

Mark.