The great Netflix vpn debacle! (geofeeds)

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Wed Sep 1 00:51:10 UTC 2021

On 8/31/21 5:13 PM, Jay Hennigan wrote:
> On 8/31/21 16:32, Jeroen Massar via NANOG wrote:
>
>> Fun part being that it is hard to get a Dumb TV... though that is
>> primarily simply because of all the tracking non-sense in them that
>> makes them 'cheaper'... (still wonder how well that tracking stuff
>> complies with GDPR, I am thinking it does not ... Schrems anyone? :) )
>
> Just get a "smart" TV, don't connect it to the Internet, and use its
> HDMI ports for your cable box, Apple TV, etc. and/or antenna input for
> local off-air reception.

Yeah, until TV manufacturers actually start incorporating, oh say,
Google tv (which is just a form of Android) they are always going to be
inferior. Having the TV just be a monitor is a feature, not a bug. It's
a lot cheaper to upgrade a $50 hdmi based dongle than the whole TV,
doubly so since manufacturers have a bad reputation  for not supporting
upgrades beyond the sell date. I have no idea whether any of the
external ones support v6 though.

One thing that might be nice is for routers to internally number using
v6 in preference to v4 and NAT that (if needed). Then you can easily
tell what is still a laggard. My wifi cams might be poorly supported,
but they don't need to interoperate with much on the Internet.

Mike, Google TV has been pretty nice since the Amazon feud finally ended
though I hate that the protocol is still pretty proprietary