Need for historical prefix blacklist (`rogue' prefixes) information

Amir Herzberg amir.lists at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 13:55:57 UTC 2021

I am very grateful for the help I received from several people (mostly off
list, which is great to avoid spamming the list).

In particular, +Giotsas, Vasileios <v.giotsas at lancaster.ac.uk> , introduced
by Joe Provo, provided a wonderful RIPE resource which provides convenient
API to data from (at least) UCEprotect and SpamHaus, perfectly meeting out
current needs: https://stat.ripe.net/docs/data_api#blocklist.

Let me also use this email to briefly comment on two points from  Matthew
Walster's posts; and Matthew, I really come at peace, I have a lot of
respect for you and your work, but we can also disagree on some things,
right? So:

1. Matthew's email basically seemed to imply intentional hijacks are not a
concern (rare/non-existent?). Few measurement works seem to show the
contrary; I esp. recommend the `Profiling BGP serial hijackers' paper from
IMC'19 by a team of excellent researchers.

2. A bit off-topic, Matthew's response to Dora Crisan seem to imply BGP
eavesdropping for eventual cryptanalysis, possibly using Quantum computing,
isn't a concern. On the one hand, I agree that Quantum computing seems
still quite far from ability to break state-of-art PKC, and it may long
till it becomes practical (if ever). OTOH, it may also not take that long;
also, `conventional' cryptanalysis may still happen, e.g., see
Schnorr's recent paper, ia.cr/2021/232, which claimed to `destroy' RSA
[withdrawn later, so apparently even Schnorr can err - that's part of
science - but this doesn't mean next effort won't succeed or that some
TLA  (three lettered adversaries) didn't succeed already]. TLAs may have
other motivations for eavesdropping, like collecting meta-data. Now, I am
sure many customers and providers may not care about security against such
TLAs, but I think it is legitimate for some people to be concerned.

Best, Amir
--
Amir Herzberg

Comcast professor of Security Innovations, Computer Science and
Engineering, University of Connecticut
Homepage: https://sites.google.com/site/amirherzberg/home
`Applied Introduction to Cryptography' textbook and lectures:
 https://sites.google.com/site/amirherzberg/applied-crypto-textbook