IPv6 and CDN's

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Tue Oct 26 16:10:12 UTC 2021

Bryan,

On Oct 23, 2021, at 5:56 PM, Bryan Fields <Bryan at bryanfields.net> wrote:
>> Excepting temporary failures, they are as far as I am aware. Why do you
>> think they aren’t?
>
> I can't reach C, 2001:500:2::c, from many places in v6 land.  My home and

> secondary data center can't reach it, but my backup VM's at another data
> center can.

Ah. Cogent. I suspect IPv6 peering policies. Somebody should bake a cake.

>> However, the IANA team is not the enforcement arm of the Internet. If a
>> root server operator chooses to not abide by RFC 7720, there is nothing the
>> IANA team can do unilaterally other than make the root server operator
>> aware of the fact.
>
> Surely IANA has the power to compel a root server operator to abide by policy
> or they lose the right to be a root server?

To compel? No. Not in the slightest. That is not how the root server system works. This is a (very) common misconception.

There has been some effort to create a governance model for the root server system (see https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/rssac-037-15jun18-en.pdf) but I believe it has gotten bogged down in the question of “what do you do when a root server operator isn’t doing the job ‘right’ (whatever that means and after figuring out who decides) but doesn’t want to give up being a root server operator?”.  It’s a hard question, but it isn’t the folks at IANA who answer it.

Regards,
-drc