IPv6 and CDN's

Matthew Walster matthew at walster.org
Fri Oct 22 14:46:15 UTC 2021

On Fri, 22 Oct 2021, 13:03 Jens Link, <lists at quux.de> wrote:

> I ran into this some time ago with deb.debian.org on an IPv6 only Debian
> VM with a locally installed resolver. I opened a ticket which was closed
> in record time: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=961296
>
> After some ranting and shouting it now works

I'm going to post the relevant message here:

> Sometimes I wonder why I report bugs..
>
> But your answer was the answer I was expecting. Thanks for noting.
>
> So I can summarize this as "The Debian Project doesn't care if IPv6 is
working"?

Jens, you went into that ticket looking for a fight, in a place staffed by
largely unpaid volunteers, choosing to belittle their efforts and then
attempting to shame them into action.

You even chose to mark the bug severity higher than the default, despite
you having chosen that mirror for your install.
https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Developer#severities

Marco explained to you that the mirror network has plenty of selections to
make, but you choose to make a fuss about one supported option not working
to a standard the rest of the community pretty much agrees is nowhere near
attainable at this time. Using netselect
https://packages.debian.org/stable/net/netselect to choose a reachable
mirror with the lowest latency would have easily mitigated this issue for
you.

DNS64 and NAT64 are going to be with us for a very long time, and if you
refuse to support IPv4 even through a translation layer then it is clear
you are acting against the interests of further IPv6 adoption by
associating IPv6 issues with zealotry. The apathy sometimes associated with
IPv6 support today is because of this perceived high effort low reward
nature of confrontation.

I would strongly advise you apologise to Marco for your grandstanding, and
adopt a more constructive way of furthering your ideology. The NANOG code
of conduct clearly states:

https://www.nanog.org/about/code-conduct/

> In the spirit of mutual respect and collaboration, NANOG does not
tolerate any unwelcome behavior, including but not limited to:
> * Aggressively pushing your own services, products, or causes.
> [...]

Please join the rest of us in advocating for IPv6 adoption, rather than the
current bullying tactics you seem to be choosing that wins the battle and
loses the war. We are all friends* here. You can be a great asset in this
effort we should all seek.

*FSVO friends, obvs.