IPv6 and CDN's

Jens Link lists at quux.de
Fri Oct 22 12:03:45 UTC 2021

Marco Davids via NANOG <nanog at nanog.org> writes:

> It turns out that there underlying CDN's with domain names such as
> ‘l-msedge.net’ and ‘trafficmanager.net’ (Microsoft) or 'fastly.net',
> that reside on authoritative name servers that *only* have an IPv4
> address.

Fastly does have IPv6 enabled authoritative DNS server but it looks like
it's not the default.

I ran into this some time ago with deb.debian.org on an IPv6 only Debian
VM with a locally installed resolver. I opened a ticket which was closed
in record time: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=961296

After some ranting and shouting it now works but a couple of days
ago I ran in the same problem while trying to install something via
pip. fles.pythonhosted.org is also using fastly.

> I guess my question is simple: Why?

I'm asking myself the same question.

> Are there good architectural reason for this? Or is it just something
> that is overlooked and forgotten about?

I don't think it was overlooked or forgotten. More along

"We have always done it this way", "We had problems enabling IPv6 (ages
ago)" or something else you can find on https://ipv6excuses.com/.

Jens