Network visibility

bzs at theworld.com bzs at theworld.com
Fri Oct 22 00:04:47 UTC 2021

Just to throw in another curve ball what got many of us excited about
the internet or Internet was that at the time there were several
networking protocols in wide usage like SNA (IBM), DECNET (DEC), XNS
(Xerox, ok not such wide usage), BITNET (mostly IBM systems,
organization was volunteer, public, hundreds of mostly university data
centers, or maybe several dozen I dunno but non-trivial), UUCP (ad hoc
as all get out), CHAOSnet (run by three people :-), BerkNeT (maybe 2
people :-), Netware (basically commercial NFS with apps), and no doubt
some others, plus several "time sharing" systems like Tymnet,
Compuserve, MCI, etc.

These were non-trivial in terms of $$$ and/or people using them, not
always both.

So one BIG PROMISE was that this [Ii]nternet would connect them all
together at least marginally (e.g., email, maybe specially designed
apps, but there'd be paths between them for bits.)

  One net to connect them all, one net to find them, one net to bring
  them all, and in the darkness bind them.

Not much of that happened.

Instead they all were TCP/IP roadkill which was probably a better
result.

I do remember the U. Wisconsin ARPAnet/BITNET gateway, big deal!

At BU I hooked up our ARPAnet systems to the big IBM mainframe
(probably a 3081 at the time) via that gateway.

Which got me a visit from the computing center director yelling "ARE
YOU REALLY SENDING BITS THROUGH WISCONSIN TO GET THEM 150 FEET DOWN
THE HALL?!?!"

To which I calmly replied: Never, ever, feel sorry for the wires.

--
        -Barry Shein