Internet history

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Thu Oct 21 18:37:36 UTC 2021

[changed to a more appropriate subject]

On 10/20/21 3:52 PM, Grant Taylor via NANOG wrote:
> On 10/20/21 3:26 PM, Michael Thomas wrote:
>> Just as an interesting aside if you're interested in the history of
>> networking, When Wizards Stayed Up Late is quite elucidating.
>
> +10 to Where Wizards Stay Up Late.
>
> I recently re-acquired (multiple copies of) it.  (Multiple because I
> wanted the same edition that I couldn't locate after multiple moves.)

One of the things about the book was that it finally confirmed for me
what I had heard but thought might be apocryphal which was that one of
my co-workers at Cisco (Charlie Klein) was the first one to receive a
packet on ARPAnet. I guess it sent an "l" and then immediately crashed.
They fixed the problem and the next time they got "login:". It also
casts shade on another early well known person which gives me some
amount of schadenfreude.

Mike