Smokeping - EchoPingHttps

Mike Hammett nanog at ics-il.net
Wed Oct 20 23:24:32 UTC 2021

I used EchoPingHttps for the first time today.

I pulled up the top 20 sites (well, removing duplicate sites from the same company) from Alexa and put them in to trend response times. I've had "this feels slow" over the years, but no way to really track that other than feels and pings.

I noticed that a few (Facebook, Salesforce, ESPN, and Zillow) don't chart at all, with varying errors in a smokeping --debug. I've noticed that a couple more (Amazon and Etsy) are fickle in their responses. I assume if they're not responding, they're poo pooing on my fake client. Am I in the right ballpark?

Next, is there a better way of doing this? I saw the curl plugin, but it was only after I had seen EchoPingHttps, so maybe curl is "better."

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com