Network visibility

bzs at theworld.com bzs at theworld.com
Wed Oct 20 21:19:48 UTC 2021

On October 20, 2021 at 16:08 mel at beckman.org (Mel Beckman) wrote:
 > Mark,
 >
 > Before 1983, the ARPANET wasn’t an internet, let alone The Internet. Each
 > ARPANET connection required a host-specific interface (the “IMP”) and simplex
 > Network Control Protocol (NCP). NCP used users' email addresses, and routing
 > had to be specified in advance within each NCP message.

Then again there were IMPs fitted to various systems like TOPS-10,
ITS, Vax/BSD Unix, IBM370, etc.

So was that really all that different from ethernet vs, oh, wi-fi or
fiber today, you needed an adapter?

 > Even so, the Internet as a platform open to anyone didn’t start until 1992. I
 > know you joined late, in 1999, so you probably missed out on this history. :)

Well, we certainly tried in 1989 :-) We had customers from all over
The World, um, the big round one you see when you look down.

--
        -Barry Shein