Network visibility

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Wed Oct 20 19:09:43 UTC 2021

I think the issuing of rfc 791 was much more important than the flag
day. ARPAnet was a tiny, tiny universe but there were a lot of people
interested in networking at the time wondering what to do with our neat
new DEUNA and DEQNA adapters. There was tons of interest in all of the
various protocols coming out around then because nobody knew what was
going to win, or whether there would be *a* winner at all. Being able to
get a spec to write to was pretty novel at the time because all of the
rest of them were proprietary so you had to reverse engineer them for
the most part. It may be that alone that pushed IP along well before the
public could hook up to the Internet. We had lots of customers asking
for IP protocols in the mid to late 80's and I can guarantee you most
weren't part of the Internet. They were using IP as the interoperating
system glue on their own networks.

Also: the flag day was pretty much an example of how not to do a
transition. as in, let's not do that again.

Mike, trying to remember when CMU shipped their first version of their
IP stack for VMS