Network visibility

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Wed Oct 20 18:47:18 UTC 2021

Since we seem to be getting pedantic...

There's "The (capital I) Internet" - which, most date to the flag day,
and the "Public Internet" (the Internet after policies changed and
allowed commercial & public use over the NSFnet backbone - in 1992f, as
I recall).

Then there's the more general notion of "internetworking" - of which
there was a considerable amount of experimental work going on, in
parallel with TCP/IP.  And of (small i) "internets" - essentially any
Catenet style network-of-networks.

Miles Fidelman

Mel Beckman wrote:
> Michael,
>
> “Looking into” isn’t “is” :)
>
>  -mel
>
>> On Oct 20, 2021, at 10:39 AM, Michael Thomas <mike at mtcc.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 10/20/21 8:26 AM, Mel Beckman wrote:
>>> Mark,
>>>
>>> As long as we’re being pedantic, January 1, 1983 is considered the
>>> official birthday of the Internet, when TCP/IP first let different
>>> kinds of computers on different networks talk to each other.
>>>
>>> It’s 2021, hence the Internet is /less/ than, not more than, 40
>>> years old.  Given your mathematical skills, I put no stock in your
>>> claim that we still can’t “buy an NMS that just works.” :)
>>>
>> Pedantically, IP is 40 years old as of last month. What you're
>> talking about is the flag day. People including myself were looking
>> into internet protocols well before the flag day.
>>
>> Mike

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown