DNS pulling BGP routes?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Oct 18 22:00:02 UTC 2021

On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 1:47 PM Matthew Petach <mpetach at netflight.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 1:17 PM William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>> Since peering customers can only reach transit customers, it follows
>> that one of the customers in the equation is a fully-paid transit
>> customer. That fully paid customer's service is degraded or denied
>> unless the peering customer also pays. Hence the conflict of interest.
>
> Customer A is full transit paying customer.
> in case 2, Customer B is a paid peering customer.
>
> Can you explain what it is I'm missing here?   ^_^;

The part where customer A is paying for a connection to "the Internet"
at some data rate, which includes the network run by customer B.
REGARDLESS of whether B pays the same service provider.

If the service rendered to A is changed by B's payment (or lack),
that's a conflict of interest.

To remove the conflict of interest, you either have to fiddle the
definition of what customer A is buying, turning it into something
that would not be obvious to an ordinary person or you have or you
have to allow B to engage in settlement free peering if they want to.
Or, counterintuitively, pay your own transit provider enough to handle
any capacity A and B together care to consume.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin