Anyone from Level3/CenturyLink/Lumen, possibly Comcast around?

Brie bruns at 2mbit.com
Thu Oct 14 16:42:33 UTC 2021

Hi all,

So, having a...  frustrating issue going on.  Long wall of text ahead as
I explain.

1 x CenturyLink/Lumen fiber in Boise
1 x CenturyLink/Lumen fiber in Cheyenne
1 x Comcast biz fiber in Denver

IPsec VPN tunnels between all three sites, w/ OSPF for routing failover
(which unfortunately doesn't help in this situation).

Two days ago, Cheyenne to Denver (.196) traffic (both tcp and udp) were
an issue initially.  Failed over to routing Cheyenne VPN through Boise
while we opened ticket with CL.

Yesterday, Boise to Denver (.196) traffic started having exact same issue.

Tests from another CL fiber in Boise (my own circuit, with legacy IP
space and BGP) to Denver (.196) did not show same issues.  Path appeared
clean.

Traceroutes from Office Boise to Denver (.196) had a noticeable
difference from Personal Boise to Denver (.196):

Office Boise -> Denver (.196)
----------------------
3: sea-edge-15.inet.qwest.net
4: lag-4.ear3.Seattle1.Level3.net
5: ae-2-52.ear2.seattle1.level3.net   <------  This hop
6: be-203-pe01.seattle.wa.ibone.comcast.net

Personal Boise -> Denver (.196)
----------------------
4: sea-edge-15.inet.qwest.net
5: lag-25.ear2.Seattle1.Level3.net
6: be-203-pe01.seattle.wa.ibone.comcast.net

On a whim, tracerouted to another Denver router IP address (.199, IP
alias on same interface) from Boise Office, and traceroute matched the
traceroute from Personal Boise to Denver (.196) traceroute.

No packet loss.

Swapped VPN tunnels over to using another ip on same router (.199), same
interface physical and logical, in Denver, and VPN was working again
normally.

This morning though, Cheyenne to Denver (.199) is having problems, while
Boise to Denver (.199) isn't (for now).

Already spent most of last night working with my partner in Denver
replacing nearly everything on the Denver side with no change.

Tests from the router above the main Denver VPN endpoint (.196) do not
show any kind of issues or packet loss to it, so it doesn't appear the
problem is inside of our network.

I'm not inclined to think this is a Comcast issue, but I can't be sure.

This sounds almost like a load balancing hashing issue, with one link in
the bond group having issues, somewhere in one of our upstream's networks.

We'll be opening a ticket in a bit through normal channels with
CenturyLink/Lumen, but we're worried they're just going to close the
ticket as not being their issue.

Anyone know of an engineer at CenturyLink/Lumen/Level3 or even Comcast
that might want to take a stab at this?  I can provide a lot more detail.

--
Brielle Bruns
http://www.sosdg.org    /     http://www.ahbl.org