S.Korea broadband firm sues Netflix after traffic surge

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Tue Oct 12 18:11:15 UTC 2021

On 10/12/21 18:33, Sabri Berisha wrote:

> Yes, let's go back to 2003. The ISP I worked for at that time was one of
> the first in the country (if not the first) to host Akamai's caching servers.
>
> Ten years later I worked on a project where Akamai caching was embedded in
> subscriber management routers. It was announced, but never productized. This
> concept would have brought caching as close to the subscriber as possible.
>
> Today, with the widespread use of HTTPS, something like this is just not
> feasible.

Yes, the utility of Squid and similar local caching servers became less
helpful as objects got more dynamic. This exacerbated as traffic shifted
over to tcp/443.

Then the CDN's started shipping content closer and closer to eyeballs,
and that has generally become the norm over the past decade.

I'm not sure anyone still using Squid & Friends is seeing net gains with
that model, particularly with a major CDN likely being close by.

Mark.