S.Korea broadband firm sues Netflix after traffic surge

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Tue Oct 12 15:31:01 UTC 2021

On 10/12/21 17:13, Jared Brown wrote:

> That's not how it works. Several streaming BitTorrent clients
> specifically request blocks in order so that you can start watching
> immediately.
>    Not that you need a special client, it works pretty well with the standard client as well on a well seeded torrent, as blocks are generally requested more or less in order.

Thanks. I wasn't aware there were torrent clients that streamed straight
to video. The last time I used torrents, it was to download files for
later consumption.

I found Usenet feeds more reliable.

> Well, yes. Or you could just stream content that is guaranteed to be compatible with the device used.

People on this list would bother to check compatibility.

Jane + Thatho just point & click.

> They could, and they might even have, I forget, but there is little demand for such a thing as a centralized CDN strategy works better.

Which is why I'm not sure it would work, in today's Internet.

Mark.