S.Korea broadband firm sues Netflix after traffic surge

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Tue Oct 12 13:35:02 UTC 2021

On 10/11/21 22:05, Matthew Petach wrote:

> Let's check back in 2026, and see if someone's become fantastically
> successful doing this or not.  ;)

I have to say, your idea is quite fantastical. I'm not sure I have
enough brain cells to consider how it will work, remembering that vCPE's
were all the rage in 2011, and ten years later, they seem to have
fizzled out without a real-world deployment of note :-).

At any rate, with the current state-of-the-art, deploying Metro edge
caches is within the realms of possibility. However, it's such a rich
solution, that it will only likely ever work in a select group of cities
around the world.

For the rest of us, a nearby data centre pumping cached content across
fibre links all the way into homes is as good as we shall get. However,
what this network looks like in 2021 vs. 2006, perhaps, allows us to
reconsider the model.

One example that comes to mind is VoD-only ISP's, whose raison d'être is
to deliver VoD content from local caches, with no infrastructure to
support access to the global Internet. I'd be keen to build something
like that, particularly in a world where the traditional infrastructure
operator is a dying species.

Mark.