S.Korea broadband firm sues Netflix after traffic surge

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Oct 11 16:05:37 UTC 2021

> On Oct 11, 2021, at 00:01 , Mark Tinka <mark at tinka.africa> wrote:
>

> On 10/11/21 00:31, Geoff Huston wrote:
>
>> In many environments, the words we use to describe this form of price setting are generally prefixed by the adjective “illegal” :-)
>
> Indeed - colluding is generally frowned upon, in which case we are doomed to the current model, and may the best man win.
>
> Ultimately, many ISP's and telco's will die. Consolidation will occur, but the "big operator" will no longer be as fat as they used to be. Focus on hauling bits around with no frills will be a good model, especially if you can keep the team lean. The chances of having large monopolies that do okay but stifle the market, being chased by struggling ISP's that favour passion + frills, is what is likely to happen, over the next decade or two.
>
> Mark.

Ideally, a regulatory framework which prohibits vertical integration and thus prevents the natural monopoly of last mile physical
infrastructure from being leveraged into a monopoly on higher-layer services would significantly improve the current situation,
making room for a strong competing market with low barrier to entry for services while the last mile infrastructure was managed
by a regulated utility or the run by the local municipality.

Owen