DNS pulling BGP routes?

Masataka Ohta mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp
Sat Oct 9 15:15:48 UTC 2021

Bill Woodcock wrote:

>> It may be that facebook uses all the four name server IP addresses
>> in each edge node. But, it effectively kills essential redundancy
>> of DNS to have two or more name servers (at separate locations)
>> and the natural consequence is, as you can see, mass disaster.
>
> Yep.  I think we even had a NANOG talk on exactly that specific topic a long time ago.
>
> https://www.pch.net/resources/Papers/dns-service-architecture/dns-service-architecture-v10.pdf

Yes, having separate sets of anycast addresses by two or more pops
should be fine.

However, if CDN provider has their own transit backbone, which is,
seemingly, not assumed by your slides, and retail ISPs are tightly
connected to only one pop of the CDN provider, the CDN provider
may be motivated to let users access only one pop killing essential
redundancy of DNS, which should be overengineering, which is my
concern of the paragraph quoted by you.

							Masataka Ohta