FYI: NANOG and ICANN

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 14:35:51 UTC 2021

On Fri, Oct 8, 2021 at 4:47 PM Owen DeLong via NANOG <nanog at nanog.org>
wrote:

> On Oct 8, 2021, at 12:39 PM, Warren Kumari <warren at kumari.net> wrote:
>

> On Fri, Oct 8, 2021 at 2:39 PM Owen DeLong via NANOG <nanog at nanog.org>
> wrote:
>
>> I see this as a way to allow NANOG to help channel some of ICANN’s
>> incredible excess of funding
>> towards more useful pursuits than those ICANN has endowed so far.
>>

> https://www.icann.org/en/announcements/details/icann-and-first-sign-memorandum-of-understanding-on-dns-threats-mitigation-22-5-2020-en
>

> https://www.icann.org/en/announcements/details/icann-signs-memorandum-of-understanding-with-the-georgian-national-communications-commission-7-12-2020-en
>

> https://www.icann.org/en/announcements/details/gsma-and-icann-sign-memorandum-of-understanding-at-gsma-mobile-world-congress-28-2-2018-en
>

> https://www.icann.org/en/announcements/details/icann-signs-memorandum-of-understanding-with-the-global-cyber-alliance-16-6-2020-en
>
> I suspect that if you think that this will make it rain, you will be sadly
> disappointed...
>

> I don’t expect it will do any good at all. I hope that it will be slightly
> less damaging than the things ICANN
> usually spends money on.

I had some time on my hands early this morning and did a close reading.

There'a typo in Article 3 Section 1.

Seems like it was more about the education program than anything.

I trust NANOG to be less destructive than ICANN and as near as I can tell,
> this partnership is mostly ICANN funding
> and NANOG doing.

See Article 4.

*The Parties agree to use their own funds or financial resources to fulfill
their respective responsibilities under this MoU*. This MoU shall not cause
any financial obligations on any one of the Parties hereto as a result of
enforcing any of its rights or executing any of its obligations hereunder.

It's a nice letter from ICANN supporting the education program for the most
part.

Warm regards,

-M<