DNS pulling BGP routes?

Masataka Ohta mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp
Fri Oct 8 14:21:54 UTC 2021

William Herrin wrote:

>> If they are not using standard expire mechanism expecting
>> internal data still accessible even after external data
>> has expired, there is difference.
>
> I give up.

To accept the reality of disastrous facebook failure? I know.

> Although you have no knowledge whatsoever about how
> Facebook implemented their DNS

    https://engineering.fb.com/2021/10/05/networking-traffic/outage-details/

    our DNS servers disable those BGP advertisements if they
    themselves can not speak to our data centers

    The end result was that our DNS servers became unreachable
    even though they were still operational.

means their DNS servers were serving the zone, even after
they recognize their zone data were too old, that is, expired.

> you are obviously correct in all things.

If you think so, it's your problem, I'm afraid.

						Masataka Ohta