What Eyeballs Did During The Facebook Nap

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Fri Oct 8 14:18:49 UTC 2021

So we are reviewing our flow data, and it's very clear, on our network,
that during the period Facebook were experiencing their global outage,
Netflix traffic went up 3X for us.

The psychological assessment of this, for me, is most interesting;
especially because like carbohydrates, social media addiction does not
create "medically immediate" mental harm, unlike other addictions such
as cocaine, heroine, crystal meth, LSD, alcohol, e.t.c., which
governments and the medical fraternity are quick to label as "dangerous
to human health due to their addictive properties".

Could Netflix, perhaps, play a part in mitigating the increasing impact
of social media addiction in teenagers, whose young brains aren't
developed enough to have sufficient executive control, impulse control
and good judgement?

In the words of Spock, "Fascinating!"

Mark.