DNS pulling BGP routes?

Sabri Berisha sabri at cluecentral.net
Fri Oct 8 05:25:09 UTC 2021

Hi,

Whenever there is an aviation incident, the keyboard warriors at pprune.org
are always the first to start speculating about root causes, and complain how
the air crew made mistakes. They, the keyboard warriors, of course know how
best to fly an aircraft with 20/20 hindsight from their armchairs.

Why do I see so many posts that are basically throwing Facebook engineers
under the bus? Let's for a moment contemplate about the sheer magnitude of
their operation. With almost 3 billion users worldwide, can you imagine the
amount of DNS queries they have to process? Their scale is unprecedented.

Sure, it's ok to speculate about potential operational or design issues that
may have been contributing factors to the outage. But throwing our colleagues
in front of the lions like this is something I would not recommend.

I'm sure they are aware of these posts, but are unable to reply due to the
amount of NDAs signed.

Thanks,

Sabri