DNS pulling BGP routes?

Masataka Ohta mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp
Thu Oct 7 05:43:23 UTC 2021

Jared Mauch wrote:

> This is quite common to tie an underlying service announcement to BGP
> announcements in an Anycast or similar environment.

Yes, that is a commonly seen mistake with anycast.

> I would say more like Application availability caused the BGP routes
> to be withdrawn.

Considering a failure mode that routes are not withdrawn even
if application dies or routes are withdrawn even if application
is alive, active withdrawal of routes is unnecessary complication
with no improvement of redundancy.

DNS (and other protocol's) redundancy is to have multiple
unicast/anycast name server addresses. Just rely on it.

						Masataka Ohta