Better description of what happened

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Wed Oct 6 16:21:26 UTC 2021

Tom Beecher <beecher at beecher.cc> writes:

>  Even if the external
> announcements were not withdrawn, and the edge DNS servers could provide
> stale answers, the IPs those answers provided wouldn't have actually been
> reachable

Do we actually know this wrt the tools referred to in "the total loss of
DNS broke many of the tools we’d normally use to investigate and resolve
outages like this."?  Those tools aren't necessarily located in any of
the remote data centers, and some of them might even refer to resources
outside the facebook network.

Not to mention that keeping the DNS service up would have prevented
resolver overload in the rest of the world.

Besides, the disconnected frontend servers are probably configured to
display a "we have a slight technical issue. will be right back" notice
in such situations.  This is a much better user experience that the
"facebook?  never heard of it" message we got on monday.

yes, it makes sense to keep your domains alive even if your network
isn't.  That's why the best practice is name servers in more than one
AS.

Bjørn