Facebook post-mortems...

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Tue Oct 5 20:52:50 UTC 2021

Actually for card readers, the offline verification nature of
certificates is probably a nice property. But client certs pose all
sorts of other problems like their scalability, ease of making changes
(roles, etc), and other kinds of considerations that make you want to
fetch more information online... which completely negates the advantages
of offline verification. Just the CRL problem would probably sink you
since when you fire an employee you want access to be cut off immediately.

The other thing that would scare me in general with expecting offline
verification is the *reason* it's being used is for offline might get
forgotten and back comes the online dependencies while nobody is looking.

BTW: you don't need to reach the trust anchor, though you almost
certainly need to run OCSP or something like it if you have client certs.

Mike