Facebook post-mortems...

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Tue Oct 5 17:20:27 UTC 2021

On 10/5/21 12:17 AM, Carsten Bormann wrote:
> On 5. Oct 2021, at 07:42, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 4, 2021 at 6:15 PM Michael Thomas <mike at mtcc.com> wrote:
>>> They have a monkey patch subsystem. Lol.
>> Yes, actually, they do. They use Chef extensively to configure
>> operating systems. Chef is written in Ruby. Ruby has something called
>> Monkey Patches.
> While Ruby indeed has a chain-saw (read: powerful, dangerous, still the tool of choice in certain cases) in its toolkit that is generally called “monkey-patching”, I think Michael was actually thinking about the “chaos monkey”,
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_engineering#Chaos_Monkey
> https://netflix.github.io/chaosmonkey/

No, chaos monkey is a purposeful thing to induce corner case errors so
they can be fixed. The earlier outage involved a config sanitizer that
screwed up and then pushed it out. I can't get my head around why
anybody thought that was a good idea vs rejecting it and making somebody
fix the config.

Mike