Facebook post-mortems...

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Tue Oct 5 14:59:03 UTC 2021

On Tue, Oct 5, 2021 at 5:44 AM Mark Tinka <mark at tinka.africa> wrote:

> On 10/5/21 14:08, Jean St-Laurent via NANOG wrote:
>
> > Maybe withdrawing those routes to their NS could have been mitigated by
> having NS in separate entities.
>
> Well, doesn't really matter if you can resolve the A/AAAA/MX records,
> but you can't connect to the network that is hosting the services.

Disagree for two reasons:

1. If you have some DNS working, you can point it at a static “we are down
and we know it” page much sooner.

2. If you have convinced the entire world to install tracking pixels on
their web pages that all need your IP address, it is rude to the rest of
the world’s DNS to not be able to always provide a prompt (and cacheable)
response.