Disaster Recovery Process

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Tue Oct 5 14:13:51 UTC 2021

> On Oct 5, 2021, at 10:05 AM, Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 2021-10-05 at 08:50 -0400, Jared Mauch wrote:
>> A few reminders for people:
>> [excellent list snipped]
>
> I'd add one "soft" list item:
>
> - in your emergency plan, have one or two people nominated who are VERY
> high up in the organisation. Their lines need to be open to the
> decisionmakers in the emergency team(s). Their job is to put the fear
> of a vengeful god into any idiot who tries to interfere with the
> recovery process by e.g. demanding status reports at ten-minute
> intervals.

At $dayjob we split the technical updates on a different bridge from the business updates.

There is a dedicated team to coordinate an entire thing, they can be low severity (risk) or high severity (whole business impacting).

They provide the timeline to next update and communicate what tasks are being done.  There’s even training on how to be a SME in the environment.

Nothing is perfect but this runs very smooth at $dayjob

- Jared