Facebook post-mortems...

Jean St-Laurent jean at ddostest.me
Tue Oct 5 12:58:21 UTC 2021

If your NS are in 2 separate entities, you could still resolve your MX/A/AAAA/NS.

Look how Amazon is doing it.

dig +short amazon.com NS
ns4.p31.dynect.net.
ns3.p31.dynect.net.
ns1.p31.dynect.net.
ns2.p31.dynect.net.
pdns6.ultradns.co.uk.
pdns1.ultradns.net.

They use dyn DNS from Oracle and ultradns. 2 very strong network of anycast DNS servers.

Amazon would have not been impacted like Facebook yesterday. Unless ultradns and Oracle have their DNS servers hosted in Amazon infra? I doubt that Oracle has dns hosted in Amazon, but it's possible.

Probably the management overhead to use 2 different entities for DNS is not financially viable?

Jean