setting ntp with dhcp

Giovane C. M. Moura giovane.moura at sidn.nl
Mon Oct 4 07:18:24 UTC 2021

Thanks everyone for their answers.

To summarize:

 1. NTP from DHCP usage:
    * Not all clients accept DHCP configs for NTP (like android phones)
    * WiFi VoIP phones use ntp from dhcp (default) -- Google Fiber case

      showed that VOIP phones may fail to register if DHCP provides
      unreachable NTP servers.
2. DOCSIS devices use TIME protocol, and sometimes NTP as well
3. Most devices likely to use hard-coded values

I'm approaching this a researcher, trying to understand these settings
usage in the wild.

W.r.t. Hal Murray bursts queries, that's interesting, we also run some
servers that we share on the NTPPool but we don't see such bursts -- we
see sort of a stable timeseries with thousands of NTP queries per second.

thanks everyone for sharing their thoughts and experiences,

/giovane