S.Korea broadband firm sues Netflix after traffic surge

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Fri Oct 1 20:57:56 UTC 2021

On 10/1/21 18:05, Laura Smith wrote:

> Speaking as one of those smaller ISPs willing to do whatever it takes, perhaps you could answer me this riddle.....
>
> - PoP in one of your "half-decent data centres" ... tick.
> - Connnection to one of your "exchange point" ... tick.
> - $certain_large_cdn present on said "exchange point" ... tick.
>
> And yet .....
>
> - $certain_large_cdn publishes routes on route server ? Nope.
> - $certain_large_cdn willing to establish direct peering session ? Nope.
>
> I am well aware of the "big boys club" that operates at most exchanges where the large networks see it beneath them to peer with (or publish routes for the benefit of) the unwashed masses.
>
> But I struggle to comprehend why $certain_large_cdn would effectively cut off their nose to spite their face ?

Yes, this is a rather painful one, and it has been on the rise in the
last few years as the major content folk struggle to keep up with
peering requirements, and everything that goes along with maintaining
those relationships.

They also seem to have a number of complex operational requirements
between their own backbones, their own PoP's, partner PoP's, transit
links, e.t.c.

There is no easy answer for this one, apart from doing the leg-work to
find out who the best person at the other end to speak to is. I'd
recommend working with the data centre and exchange point operators to
make meaningful introductions. You may not end up where you want, but
you certainly increase your chances of doing so.

Mark.